The Evolution of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin The Evolution of Mara Dyer gave me a heart attack. It undoubtedly lives up the first installment; in fact it's even better. It fucks with your mind, it's twisted, but you love it. The thing with this book is that you never stop wondering what the hell is going on but then when you finally think you've joined the dots, Michelle Hodkin proves you wrong and you're back to square one. Only then do you realise that the answer is not so simple, that it's something bigger. The questions kept piling up with the cliffhangers at the end of each chapter, till it came to a point where I thought the answers would never come, but oh, they did. And disappointed I was not. I loved Mara's character in this book. The sarcastic remarks that she kept to herself made me laugh and I admire the way she still managed to fight back after being sent to an RTC where she was constantly tested and where no one believed her, not even her family. She had her wild moments and there were times when she was afraid of herself , let the fear get to her but she dealt with it. I love how Michelle Hodkin played with the psychological elements, making us question whether what Mara was going through was real or not. Mara was trying so hard to convince others that the things she's seeing and going through were real but sometimes she didn't know what to believe herself. The relationship between Noah and Mara hits a whole different level in this book. He is the only one who believes her, and is like her anchor to reality. We learn how he discovered about his healing ability (definitely not a pretty episode) and how, despite his calm composure, he is lost and broken inside. Mara's family were really supportive of her, especially Daniel and her mom. Oh, Daniel. When he shared his thoughts in the group therapy session, that was a touching scene.The end. Initial reaction: CRAZY ENDING. I FEEL LIKE BANGING MY HEAD IN A WALL, PLEASE, NOAH, PLEASE DON'T BE DEAD. When I finally regained my composure: Shut up. Of course he's not dead. This being dead thing and coming back alive after 37381 years is everywhere now. EVERYWHERE. Well, that was an unexpected turn of events. I didn't see it coming at all. I know that something big's brewing and I just can't wait to get all the final answers in The Retribution of Mara Dyer."They rattled my cage to see if I’d bite. When they released me, they’d see that the answer was yes."